History of Victory County Memorial Hospital

In 1947 residents pointed with pride to a newly constructed 37 room hospital built under the supervision of George P. Fraser. County sponsored, the hospital was erected at a cost of $80,000. In addition, $50,000 of modern equipment was housed in the hospital. The hospital was operated by the Red Cross and Dr. C.L MacMillan was the Administrator of the hospital assisted part-time by Dr. Frank MacLeod of Inverness. Six nurses were employed by the Victoria County Memorial Hospital.

In the 1980’s a need became apparent for a new hospital building. The current building did not conform to building codes. If renovations would be done, the hospital was still 42 years old. In response, the citizens, led by the Board of Directors and Hospital Administration, in co-operation with the Department of Health, began the planning and fund raising process.

On May 29th. 1987 Bill #72 (Chapter 78 of the Acts of 1987) to establish the Victoria County Memorial Hospital Charitable Foundation (VCMHCF) received assent of the Lieutenant Governor. The sod was turned on November 29, 1993 and the hospital was officially opened on December 9, 1995.